Polk County Historical Museum listed on the National Register of Historic Places located at 100 East Main Street in Bartow. Polk County named after James Polk the eleventh president of the United States. The third courthouse built on this site served the county from 1908 until 1987. After a period of restoration, the museum opened in the late 1990s.
Permanent and temporary exhibits throughout the museum. Jacob Summerlin an early pioneer donated land to the development of downtown Bartow. Eight industries supported the early settlers of Polk County. Photographs and labels chronicles the history of the first European families and the first African American families.
People boarded the Atlantic Coastline Railroad in Polk County to Lake Alfred, Florence Villa, Eagle Lake and Bartow. Five railroads served Polk County from the mid-1880s to the mid-1990s when they merged with other railroads. A map of the route and memorabilia from the Atlantic Coastline Railroad.
The citrus industry in Polk County from crates to packinghouses to shipping. The history of baseball in Polk County. First came the tin can tourists people who lived out of their vehicle for months eating canned food. Built in the late 1920s, the first tin can trailer called an Airstream contained a stove and an ice chest. A map and other gear for the road exhibited.
A children’s gallery, a natural beauty exhibit featuring local photographers and a gallery dedicated to Women in Fashion from the early twentieth century. A room dedicated to the men and women from Polk County who served in the armed services in WWII. So much to see a return visit is recommended. Admission is free, hours of operation on the website.