The Henry A. Deland House located on 137 W. Michigan Avenue in Deland. The Conrad family lived in the home and bequeathed the home to the city. The house, a wooden vernacular farmhouse built in the late 19th century has a second entrance that we entered was added on later. The entranceway has a dual fireplace and paintings of John D. Stetson and Henry A. Deland both benefactors.
The tour guide gave an in-depth history of the house. The formal parlor has a pedal organ built in 1872 and a secretary, a first of its kind with a lock. A tri-crested settee is also in the parlor. As the story goes when the couple was courting, the young woman’s mother sat in the middle. In the dining room, a table built by the Remington Arms Company in Connecticut. The kitchen has Hoosier antique kitchen cabinets popular in the early part of the 20th century installed; ice chests that held 25 to 50 lb. blocks of ice had to be special ordered.
Upstairs are the master bedroom, sitting room, sewing room and children’s bedroom. The bathroom with a claw foot tub was added in the 1920s or 30s. The Master bedroom has transoms above the door for ventilation before air conditioning and double hung windows that in the summer kept the bedroom cooler and in the winter warmer. The mattress was made of horsehair. The sitting room has a settee and family photos on the wall. The children’s bedroom with their toys displayed. The sewing room has party dresses and everyday dresses that the women wore.
Relax in the Gazebo and admire the sculpture of Leu Gim Gong, the Citrus Wizard. Born in China he immigrated to the United States. A horticulturist remembered for his contributions to the citrus industry. Entrance fees; hours of operation on the website.