DeBary Hall

PICT0579

DeBary Hall listed on the National Register of Historic Places located at 198 Sunrise Boulevard in DeBary. Our tour started at the Visitor Center at the DeBary Historic Site. A virtual movie in the Imagidome Theater depicts people traveling on a steamship down the St. Johns River, the sensation of cruising on the river. Afterwards we took a one hour tour of the Hunting Lodge. The tour guide went into each room giving a thorough account.

The town of DeBary named after Frederic DeBary a European Aristocrat born in Frankfurt, Germany. He was the sole agent for G.H. Mumm & Co. one of the largest champagne companies in France making a fortune in the import business that imported French wines and mineral water. He also owned a steamship company and was involved in the citrus industry.

Tenant House

Tenant House

Caretakers Residence

Caretakers Residence

Carriage House and Stables

Carriage House and Stables

Frederic DeBary built a Hunting Lodge in the late 19th century. Other buildings on the property include a Carriage House and Stables, Tenant House and Caretakers Residence that was once a laundress cottage and an Ice House. The Carriage House and Stables restored with artifacts that show the Citrus Industry before the freeze in the 1890s. A Hunting Wagon and a Traveling Wagon are on display. Plaques in the Tenant House give of a history of the era and its inhabitants.

A couple on our tour rode their bicycles on the 2¼-mile trail that is on the property. Prices and hours of operation on the website.

Advertisements

Sams House at Pine Island Conservation Area

PICT0568John H. Sams House at Pine Island Conservation Area located at 6195 North Tropical Trail in Merritt Island. Designated a Florida Heritage Site in 2006 a Historical Marker was constructed that details the history of the house and its inhabitants. The Sams family moved to Brevard County from South Carolina in the mid-19th century to take advantage of the 1860 Homestead Act. Built in 1875 using hand tools the log home is the oldest standing structure in Brevard County. Originally constructed in Eau Galle and reassembled at its present site the home is now a museum. Interpretive exhibits describe how the Native Americans and early settlers lived in Merritt Island.

Sams houseIn the late 19th century, he built a white two-story vernacular house for his family. A plaque on the house chronicles their life. For twenty years, he served as the first superintendent of schools for Brevard County.

The Conservation Area encompasses 900 acres and interactive exhibits along the paved trail. There is hiking, biking and horseback riding. Wildlife in the conservation area include manatees, bobcats, alligators and wading birds. Have a picnic on one of the many picnic tables.